Executive Producer, AJ+
I oversee award-winning documentary shows for Al Jazeera's online channel.
I've been in media for the past two decades. Much of that time has been spent in digital media, beginning in 2005 at The New York Times online news desk. I was later hired by The Press Democrat to launch their online news desk. In 2011, I moved to Egypt on a whim, where I reported on the revolution and managed a team for an online documentary.
In 2014 I returned home to help launch the app of Al Jazeera’s digital-first channel, AJ+. As Acting Executive Producer of Engagement, I led a team that helped build AJ+'s social strategy, becoming in its first year a top news video publisher on Facebook. I was among the first journalists to go live on Facebook – from the refugee crisis in Europe to Palestine.
I've been a manager in varying capacities for 10+ years. I established an award-winning field team at AJ+ that produces the show "Direct From With Dena Takruri." Its "War In The Koreas" series won the prestigious National Edward R. Murrow Award in 2018. I received management training at the ONA-Poynter Institute Leadership Academy for Women in Digital Media in 2015. I've also received the Kathryn Davis Fellowship for Peace, Chips Quinn Fellowship and Middlebury Fellowship in Environmental Journalism. In 2016 I was awarded Al Jazeera's top honor, awarded to only one person per AJ entity.
I started working at 14, finding my way in journalism along a winding path with many detours. At the same time I taught what I knew to marginalized communities through a nonprofit youth zine I co-founded in 2012, Seventh Native American Generation (SNAG). Today I still lead workshops and trainings. See speaking for more information.
AWARDS (As Senior Producer, Photographer, Reporter)
• 2018 National Edward R. Murrow Award, Excellence in Social Media, "War In The Koreas"
• 2018 Society of Professional Journalists Award, "War In The Koreas"
• 2018 Clarion Award, TV Documentary Series, Local or Regional, "Hawaii's Fight for Land"
• 2018 Clarion Award, TV Documentary Program, National, "War in the Koreas"
• 2018 Telly Award, "War In The Koreas"
• 2018 Allard Prize In Photography, "Falafal With a Side of Tear Gas"
• 2017 NYC Drone Film Festival, News/Documentary Award, "#NODAPL Drones Monitor North Dakota Police"
• 2017 Middle East Institute Digital Photo Contest, "Falafal With a Side of Tear Gas"
• 2016 Al Jazeera Excellence Award
• 2014 Award of Excellence, Freelance Unit of the Pacific Media Workers Guild
AJ+ AWARDS (For work my teams contributed to while I was Acting EP or SP)
• 2017 WEBBY Awards Winner, Social News & Information
• 2017 Shorty Awards Winner, Best Facebook Presence
• 2016 Shorty Awards Winner, Best Facebook Presence
• 2016 Online News Association Winner, General Excellence in Online Journalism
• 2015 WEBBY People's Voice Winner, Online Video, General: News & Politics: Series
• 2015 WEBBY People's Voice Winner in Online Video, Channels & Networks: News & Information